The decision to have a destination wedding could have taken a while to get to for some couples. For others, it’s something they always knew they wanted. But what about the things you may not have thought about right away? Important things you will need to consider throughout the planning process of your destination wedding? That’s where we come in! We’ve rounded up some of the top things couples should consider when having a destination wedding and how to tackle them. Destination weddings etiquette isn’t quite as firm as it is for traditional weddings, making it all the easier to make your perfect destination wedding best suited to you.
Deciding who to invite to a destination wedding can be a difficult feat, particularly for couples with large family and friend groups. The good news is there’s no need to limit your guest list just because you’re having a destination wedding. Plenty of couples opt to invite the same guests that they would for a traditional wedding. Many couples who limit invites consider a post-wedding reception when you return home, though it’s by no means required. Remember: this is your wedding, and it can be shared with whoever you choose. There is really no firm destination wedding etiquette here; it’s your call.
Religious officiate vs. civil ceremony
As many couples choose to have their nuptials outside with a beach destination wedding, civil ceremonies are often preferred by couples over religious ceremonies. If you are interested in having a religious ceremony, many resorts can arrange for a local officiate to marry you in a local chapel. Speak with your local religious leader to find out exactly what the religious requirements are for a marriage in the destination of your choice. If you don’t want a formal religious ceremony, many couples incorporate a religious reading into their ceremony. Skip religion altogether if it’s the right thing for you and your fiancé. Whatever you decide, remember to go with whatever feels authentic and right for you as a couple vs what destination wedding etiquette may or may not be.
Giving guests advance notice
As planning a destination wedding trip is a financial investment for your guests and many use their vacation time to come to your wedding, it’s polite to give them ample notice so that they may plan and budget accordingly. They may also want to plan an extended vacation following the wedding, so be sure to inform guests of the resort and destination of choice as early as possible. Ideally, guests should receive save-the-date notices 6-8 months prior. If you’re planning a short engagement, it’s polite to at least give invitees 6-8 weeks, which is in line with when you would send out wedding invitations for a traditional wedding. Don’t worry if you’re planning your event last minute; you can still make your dream wedding happen with a little coordination!
To insure or not to insure, that is the age-old destination wedding question. You probably already know what our professional opinion is going to be. Yes, insurance is a good idea. And not just for gloom and doom runaway fiancé situations. Just like any other travel plans, flights get delayed, weather happens, and guests get sick. For the deposit that you’ll spend, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your big day investment is protected from complete mayhem.
One of the (many) great benefits of a destination wedding is that you likely won’t have to go far to enjoy your dream honeymoon. Still, it’s good to keep in mind that many of your guests may extend their stay after your wedding, so it’s important to consider whether you would be okay running into family and friends while you honeymoon. If you’re looking for more privacy, but don’t want to lose the perks of booking with your resort, many companies will transfer resort credits to their properties in different locations.
Planning a destination wedding may seem like a lot of work, but it’s actually a lot less stress than all that’s involved in planning an at-home wedding. Our experts make easy destination weddings a thing so that you can focus on beginning your lives together. And of course, all the hard work is worth it for the amazing experience, memories and fantastic photos you’re sure to bring home with you!
Ready to plan your dream wedding?
Wedding Travel Agents Bring Dreams To Life
We are a destination wedding travel agency based in Bedford, NH – small enough to care deeply about building lasting relationships with you, and large enough to work with couples across the country. Our Destination Wedding travel agents combine their drive for personal service and expertise with resort partnerships around the world. As a result, you are afforded an exclusive and unrivaled one-stop wedding travel agent experience. We're here solely to make it easy for you to plan an amazing destination wedding. Our destination wedding travel agents have worked with many couples like you, and hundreds of guests, to plan destination weddings that make it feel like your dreams have come to life. A Destination Wedding travel agent from Vacationisms will guide you through the destination wedding planning process and make all of the logistics much easier than trying to handle it yourself.
The best part?
Our standard services are $0!
Our no-fee destination wedding travel agent services include:
- DESTINATION SELECTION: We'll help you cut through the noise to find the best destination wedding location for you. From romantic all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean on the best beaches to the most secluded mountain top retreats, we probably have an idea up our sleeve from our first conversation. Your destination wedding travel agent can give you the inside scoop.
- WEDDING PACKAGE SELECTION: Your personal destination wedding travel agent can quickly and easily get you all of the details on the best destination wedding packages. Because we specialize in this area, it's easy for us to quickly sort through what you're looking for – because the "best" is different for everyone.
- CONTRACT NEGOTIATION: We literally do this for a living, and you can rest assured that we know the in's and out's of securing the wedding package best for you. Plus, our destination wedding travel agents have access to exclusive offers that the general public doesn't.
- ADVICE: We will help you with everything from invitation wording, to destination wedding etiquette and can assist with wedding theme brainstorming.
- TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS: You will have your very own destination wedding web page with all of the important details to provide for your invitees. They can book right online, making the process easy for everyone.
- EMERGENCY TRAVEL ASSISTANCE: Should anything happen while travel, you will be able to reach a representative 24/7 to assist you quickly and easily. No hold times. No call centers. We take our clients personally, so you get us.
- ONSITE ASSISTANCE: You can choose to have your destination wedding travel agent join you to provide onsite assistance with last minute details, coordination and resolution of any issues.
- PHOTOGRAPHY, MAKE-UP & HAIR SERVICES: We work closely with a group of professionals who offer destination wedding services. We have agreements with them to make it affordable to bring in verified professionals.
My wedding travel agent saved my LIFE! I was so overwhelmed when I found Vacationisms that I wasn't even excited for my own wedding anymore. She was so patient with me and so thorough in her recommendations, it turned the entire process around. It took only a week for us to pick the perfect resort, get the contract, and get this wedding booked. She has been crazy responsive and their whole team has been there for us every step of the way.Brianna
I thought it would be a great idea to handle it myself – but I was so wrong. I called a Vacationisms destination wedding travel agent after booking our wedding myself because it took less than a month for the whole thing to become so complicated. Our destination wedding travel agent was able to take the reins on all of the minutia for me. My guests love my agent and she made it so easy for all of us. Our wedding would not have been so easy if I had continued handling it myself. These guys are the real deal.Sarah
I called before I even proposed. I knew we wanted to take the destination wedding route, but didn't know where to start. Our travel agent was so great at giving me the entire rundown on what to expect before I pulled the trigger. We pulled off the entire planning process over only a 5 month engagement – and it was seamless. I highly recommend working with Vacationisms!Tim