We live in a world of bite-sized information, and with good reason! Hectic schedules, demanding careers and social lives leave little time for anything else. If you’re looking for the inside scoop on destination wedding etiquette without thumbing through a novel’s worth of information, here are some fast and easy destination wedding tips that we swear by.
Send invites early:
Send save-the-dates 8-12 months out from your destination wedding to give guests ample time to save and plan. If you don’t have that long, three to four months is okay. Invitations go out 6-8 weeks in advance.
Include guests that can’t attend:
It’s easy to make everyone feel included, even if they can’t make it to your destination wedding! If you have close friends and family that can’t attend, consider a reception once you return home. There are hi-tech options for the actual ceremony too, like video cams so guests can watch the wedding live. Or, go the social route and create a #hashtag for your wedding so family and friends can follow along.
Be kind to the kiddos:
Ask about camps, water parks, day and night activities for all ages and if babysitting is offered on the property. Plan fun activities for the kids during your rehearsal dinner, like scavenger hunts or leave out a basket of board games to win extra brownie points.
Make time for your spouse:
It’s important to remember why you’re at this amazing resort celebrating — because you’re starting a life as a married couple! Take a sunrise walk on the beach, get a spa treatment, and enjoy a leisurely breakfast in bed. Trust us, your guests will understand.
Thank your parents generously:
They’ve been there for you through thick and thin, so don’t gift them with anything cheesy or impersonal. Take your time to find something timeless that suits their personality and taste. And of course, don’t forget the handwritten note.
Don’t combat the opposition:
And better yet, don’t think about it as combat. You’re trying to plan the best destination wedding possible for you and your guests, so why waste your energy on the naysayers? As long as you are thoughtful and communicate well with your guests, there’s no reason you should have to explain or justify your choices.
Don’t mix guests and non-guests at pre-wedding parties:
If they didn’t make the cut for the actual wedding, they shouldn’t be invited to pre-wedding events with guests who did. It’s just a recipe for awkward conversations and introductions, even if you have the best of intentions.
Find out if your resort is handicap accessible:
If it’s important for your grandparents to make the wedding, then they shouldn’t also risk life and limb at your resort. Make sure they have a comfortable seat at all times and that your resort has accessible walkways and attendants to lend a hand.
Know what yours is, and be reasonable about what you can accomplish with that number. It’s that plain and simple.
Add an opt-out clause:
It’s nice to let your guests know that their presence is a gift, not a requirement. We like the idea of an opt-out clause on the save-the-dates. Keep it upbeat and maybe mention a home reception or party if you’re having one so they can still celebrate with you.
Be sensible with gifts:
Try a honeymoon fund instead of asking your guests to lug bulky, expensive gifts. Or, opt out of gifts altogether if it feels right and try a charity fund instead.
Create enthusiasm for your wedding:
Your guests might not yet have been to a destination wedding before yours. Get them amped up with a wedding website that includes excursions, details about your resorts and any group activities you have planned. A little weather forecast never hurts either.
Get everyone together on night one:
Some of your guests might not have met each other before. Let everyone mingle and break the ice with a laid back party or event pre-ceremony. There might be some surprise friendships in the works!
Give the gift of an all-inclusive:
Your guests will love you if they don’t have to tote around their wallet the entire time. It also tends to be a much more affordable (and fun!) option for everyone. We have some excellent relationships with the best all inclusive wedding resorts – for good reason!
Wedding Travel Agents Bring Dreams To Life
We are a destination wedding travel agency based in Bedford, NH – small enough to care deeply about building lasting relationships with you, and large enough to work with couples across the country. Our Destination Wedding travel agents combine their drive for personal service and expertise with resort partnerships around the world. As a result, you are afforded an exclusive and unrivaled one-stop wedding travel agent experience. We're here solely to make it easy for you to plan an amazing destination wedding. Our destination wedding travel agents have worked with many couples like you, and hundreds of guests, to plan destination weddings that make it feel like your dreams have come to life. A Destination Wedding travel agent from Vacationisms will guide you through the destination wedding planning process and make all of the logistics much easier than trying to handle it yourself.
The best part?
Our standard services are $0!
Our no-fee destination wedding travel agent services include:
- DESTINATION SELECTION: We'll help you cut through the noise to find the best destination wedding location for you. From romantic all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean on the best beaches to the most secluded mountain top retreats, we probably have an idea up our sleeve from our first conversation. Your destination wedding travel agent can give you the inside scoop.
- WEDDING PACKAGE SELECTION: Your personal destination wedding travel agent can quickly and easily get you all of the details on the best destination wedding packages. Because we specialize in this area, it's easy for us to quickly sort through what you're looking for – because the "best" is different for everyone.
- CONTRACT NEGOTIATION: We literally do this for a living, and you can rest assured that we know the in's and out's of securing the wedding package best for you. Plus, our destination wedding travel agents have access to exclusive offers that the general public doesn't.
- ADVICE: We will help you with everything from invitation wording, to destination wedding etiquette and can assist with wedding theme brainstorming.
- TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS: You will have your very own destination wedding web page with all of the important details to provide for your invitees. They can book right online, making the process easy for everyone.
- EMERGENCY TRAVEL ASSISTANCE: Should anything happen while travel, you will be able to reach a representative 24/7 to assist you quickly and easily. No hold times. No call centers. We take our clients personally, so you get us.
- ONSITE ASSISTANCE: You can choose to have your destination wedding travel agent join you to provide onsite assistance with last minute details, coordination and resolution of any issues.
- PHOTOGRAPHY, MAKE-UP & HAIR SERVICES: We work closely with a group of professionals who offer destination wedding services. We have agreements with them to make it affordable to bring in verified professionals.
My wedding travel agent saved my LIFE! I was so overwhelmed when I found Vacationisms that I wasn't even excited for my own wedding anymore. She was so patient with me and so thorough in her recommendations, it turned the entire process around. It took only a week for us to pick the perfect resort, get the contract, and get this wedding booked. She has been crazy responsive and their whole team has been there for us every step of the way.Brianna
I thought it would be a great idea to handle it myself – but I was so wrong. I called a Vacationisms destination wedding travel agent after booking our wedding myself because it took less than a month for the whole thing to become so complicated. Our destination wedding travel agent was able to take the reins on all of the minutia for me. My guests love my agent and she made it so easy for all of us. Our wedding would not have been so easy if I had continued handling it myself. These guys are the real deal.Sarah
I called before I even proposed. I knew we wanted to take the destination wedding route, but didn't know where to start. Our travel agent was so great at giving me the entire rundown on what to expect before I pulled the trigger. We pulled off the entire planning process over only a 5 month engagement – and it was seamless. I highly recommend working with Vacationisms!Tim