Still undecided on whether or not you should plan a destination wedding?
At some point in the planning process, every engaged couple entertains the idea of having a destination wedding — after all, who doesn’t get excited at the prospect of going somewhere gorgeous and unique to exchange vows? But at the same time, it can be daunting — can you actually pull off a destination wedding? Will your loved ones be supportive? If you find yourselves debating “should we or shouldn’t we?” or needing to convince some VIGs (very important guests) to embrace your decision, we’re here to help. Here are 10 fantastic reasons to take your big day on the road for a paradise destination wedding.
1. You can say “I do” anywhere!
2. You’ll stand out from the pack.
More than 2 million American couples wed every year — and fewer than 25 percent of them have destination weddings. Bonus: Wed away, and you won’t have to choose from the same old hometown spots all your friends have booked.
3. It’s easier.
Many wedding-worthy resorts offer free planning help to couples, whether the event is for two or 200, and an abundance of packages keep things simple while still giving options to customize. Want something more involved? Turn to an independent planner who specializes in more elaborate events.
4. You can save on decor.
With a destination wedding in a stunning setting, your location of choice supplies the theme, from castle fairytale, to sea-inspired soiree. And when you choose an amazing backdrop, it doesn’t take much to dress it up. Opt for a pristine beach, a tidy vineyard, a blooming garden or a historic plantation house furnished with graceful antiques, and you’ll be more than covered with a few simple florals and other modest accents.
5. Enjoy quality time with loved ones.
The standard wedding lasts for five hours, and the bride and groom spend most of that time running from table to table, trying to say hello to everyone. A destination wedding spans a minimum of three days — which means, now that you’ve finally gotten your nearest and dearest together, you can actually spend quality time with them! Hooray!
6. It’s a great excuse to limit the guest list.
The very nature of destination weddings — they require travel, a longer time commitment and hotel stays — gives you the perfect excuse to cut down on an often unmanageable number of invitees. Think the second cousins and office mates will be miffed? You can always throw a postwedding party — complete with plenty of photos — when you get back home.
7. Guests can save on a vacation.
Ask your destination wedding specialist about discounted room rates for your guests; most resorts are more than willing to bargain in exchange for group business. Some airlines, such as United and American, offer discounted airfares for groups of 10 of more — on the latter, this is true even if your guests are departing from different gateways. And ultimately, your friends will have a blast! Destination weddings give friends and family that most valuable commodity: downtime — to kick back, connect and celebrate. And what’s more fun than that?
8. You’ll share a locale you love.
Part of the joy of a destination wedding is showing off a place that has special meaning to you, be it bringing friends and family back to a beloved college campus, sharing where you took your first vacation as a couple or finally going to a locale you’ve always dreamed of visiting.
9. Flexible timing helps with budgeting.
You’ll be at your destination for a few days, so work with your vendors to see how timing can trim costs. After all, if everyone is already there, you can wed on a Friday, a Sunday or even a Tuesday — what does the day of the week matter in paradise? Look at seasonality too. Many Caribbean hotels drop their prices dramatically in mid-April; by planning your wedding for May, you can get the same great digs for a fraction of the price paid by visitors a few weeks earlier. Likewise, mountain resort towns offer big savings in spring and fall.
10. You can start the honeymoon early.
Just arriving at your destination is sure to put you in a relaxed mood as the pre-wedding festivities begin. Many hotels offer automatic upgrades to the bride and groom on their wedding night, and you may be able to negotiate an extended minimoon at a reduced rate after the guests have gone home.
Ready to plan your dream wedding?
Wedding Travel Agents Bring Dreams To Life
We are a destination wedding travel agency based in Bedford, NH – small enough to care deeply about building lasting relationships with you, and large enough to work with couples across the country. Our Destination Wedding travel agents combine their drive for personal service and expertise with resort partnerships around the world. As a result, you are afforded an exclusive and unrivaled one-stop wedding travel agent experience. We're here solely to make it easy for you to plan an amazing destination wedding. Our destination wedding travel agents have worked with many couples like you, and hundreds of guests, to plan destination weddings that make it feel like your dreams have come to life. A Destination Wedding travel agent from Vacationisms will guide you through the destination wedding planning process and make all of the logistics much easier than trying to handle it yourself.
The best part?
Our standard services are $0!
Our no-fee destination wedding travel agent services include:
- DESTINATION SELECTION: We'll help you cut through the noise to find the best destination wedding location for you. From romantic all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean on the best beaches to the most secluded mountain top retreats, we probably have an idea up our sleeve from our first conversation. Your destination wedding travel agent can give you the inside scoop.
- WEDDING PACKAGE SELECTION: Your personal destination wedding travel agent can quickly and easily get you all of the details on the best destination wedding packages. Because we specialize in this area, it's easy for us to quickly sort through what you're looking for – because the "best" is different for everyone.
- CONTRACT NEGOTIATION: We literally do this for a living, and you can rest assured that we know the in's and out's of securing the wedding package best for you. Plus, our destination wedding travel agents have access to exclusive offers that the general public doesn't.
- ADVICE: We will help you with everything from invitation wording, to destination wedding etiquette and can assist with wedding theme brainstorming.
- TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS: You will have your very own destination wedding web page with all of the important details to provide for your invitees. They can book right online, making the process easy for everyone.
- EMERGENCY TRAVEL ASSISTANCE: Should anything happen while travel, you will be able to reach a representative 24/7 to assist you quickly and easily. No hold times. No call centers. We take our clients personally, so you get us.
- ONSITE ASSISTANCE: You can choose to have your destination wedding travel agent join you to provide onsite assistance with last minute details, coordination and resolution of any issues.
- PHOTOGRAPHY, MAKE-UP & HAIR SERVICES: We work closely with a group of professionals who offer destination wedding services. We have agreements with them to make it affordable to bring in verified professionals.
My wedding travel agent saved my LIFE! I was so overwhelmed when I found Vacationisms that I wasn't even excited for my own wedding anymore. She was so patient with me and so thorough in her recommendations, it turned the entire process around. It took only a week for us to pick the perfect resort, get the contract, and get this wedding booked. She has been crazy responsive and their whole team has been there for us every step of the way.Brianna
I thought it would be a great idea to handle it myself – but I was so wrong. I called a Vacationisms destination wedding travel agent after booking our wedding myself because it took less than a month for the whole thing to become so complicated. Our destination wedding travel agent was able to take the reins on all of the minutia for me. My guests love my agent and she made it so easy for all of us. Our wedding would not have been so easy if I had continued handling it myself. These guys are the real deal.Sarah
I called before I even proposed. I knew we wanted to take the destination wedding route, but didn't know where to start. Our travel agent was so great at giving me the entire rundown on what to expect before I pulled the trigger. We pulled off the entire planning process over only a 5 month engagement – and it was seamless. I highly recommend working with Vacationisms!Tim